Wednesday, November 7, 2012

5k ....Who Me?



I can remember running the "MILE" in elementary school, I think I was sick at least once just because the thought  of running in PE made me sick!  Not to mention the painful side stitches I got.  I hated to sweat, not that I love it now but I tell myself  "sweat is my fat crying" (thanks Shannon)  Run...who me?  I have said over and over "I'll NEVER run unless I'm being CHASED".    This picture above was ME, o yes! 



 
My new neighbor who is a lot of fun to hangout with asked me to run with her, I said "NO"!  I don't want people to see me run/jog.  She asked several times and I finally said "YES", I'll give it a try.  I had been running on my own just because I was wanting more of a challenge than the walking I had been doing.  We began in July 2012.  We used the "Couch-to-5k" program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.  It was hard! Hard at week 1, hard at week 2, hard at week 3 and harder at week 4  (I was on week 4 for about 3 or 4 wks).  But finally I was able to push past that plateau.  We decided to register for a 5k .  Tiara 5k,  it was a fun run (run or walk) and when you finished you were given a TIARA and a BOA! Yes bling.....I'm in! 
 
 
 
Found via Pinterest at jillconyers.typepad.com
 
 
We continued to train and build our endurance in the 6 weeks we had before the big day!  Things were going great! And then I inherited my nickname "CRASH"  I got a new pair of running shoes they looked great, felt awesome, make me run faster and jump higher (like Luke's new shoes) and they are longer.  Then it happened the big wipe out, I jumped up and ran off fast hoping no one saw me! I wish I could say that was the last time it happened but it wasn't. I did it again one week before our 5k.  I have learned the HARD WAY to pick up my toes!
 
 
So the BIG day came and we were ready! Ready as we could be. We had matching outfits and monogrammed skirts, daisy hair bows with rindstones in the middle we were "looking good"! I was excited and nervous!!! How much fun would it be if I fell at the beginning and was tramped by the stampede of serious runners!?! Well it turned out fine the serious runners were long passed me by the time I had taken 10 strides! ha   I didn't care "Whether it is a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile its still a mile "I" RAN"! 
 
It was fun! Training  wasn't much fun, it hurt, took dedication, willpower, sacrifice, but reaching the GOAL was worth it!  Thank you Shannon for being my partner, for joining me in this fight.  God has shown me that I can still accomplish goals! That I have a great friend who challenges me to a healthier lifestyle.  I felt like I was just a wife and a mom.  That is all I need to worry with, but my health is important! Setting a healthy examples for my children is huge!  Yeah we made it! 
 
 
If you are looking to get fit now or in 2013 start small!  I started walking 3x's a week in July 2011, running a minute walking a minute in spring time of 2012.  It wasn't until Shannon challenged me in July and now I can run!  It's not a half marathon 13miles, by any stretch of the imagination but its a start for me! My power verse for hard days of running was Phil 4:13... "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".   This can also be your power verse and YOU  can do it!  If I can so can you! I'm here and will cheer you on if you need a cheerleader! 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You just made me want to open my front door and run somewhere.Since I have to wake up my kids and start our day maybe I'll just jog around the house lol. All jokes aside, maybe I'll run your next 5k with you....I better start training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thank you for sticking with me and pushing me too! I know there are many days I didn't want to go, but you helped me get going and it really did become like therapy :) I can't wait for our next race (we need to schedule one by the way!) and get back in our routine..whatever that might be LOL. Love you!

    Jennifer, feel free to join us...if I can do it you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I'm with Jen, made me wanna run somewhere too! :P Very inspiring! Sticking with something is very hard to do at times. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete